Saturday, March 5, 2011

In Loving Memory of Elijah "Weeble" Eckhardt

On Sunday, February 27, at 10:46 AM, little Elijah Eckhardt, known to his loving family as "Weeble," passed into eternity, into the loving arms of the Lord Jesus.  The day before there had been a tragic swimming pool accident.  There are no words to describe the grief and pain of this dear family and those who love them. Yesterday we gathered to remember Weeble and were blessed with a joyous, tearful service that helped us to get to know this dear boy who lived here with us only 1,015 days.  Weeble would have turned three in May.

His Aunt Tricia said, "Everyone loved Weeble, and Weeble loved everyone."  Oh, how he loved, and how he was loved and will always be loved!  He was such a happy boy who loved Mommy and Daddy and his grandparents and his aunts, uncles, and cousins.  He loved playing with his brothers Kaj, Japheth, and Silas and with his sisters Heike and baby Katie, and with his cousins. They were his best friends.  He loved to climb "monkey trees" (this is what he called the ones he could climb; the others he called "monster trees"); he loved cookies and caterpillars and he loved life.

His mommy Jennifer and daddy Troy bravely shared some of their precious memories of Weeble with all of us yesterday.  His Aunt Tricia and his "Poppy" also shared from the heart their love for this beautiful child.  We laughed and we cried and we marveled at the depth of their loss, and the depth of our loss.

We were so very blessed to hear each say with absolute certainty that they will see Weeble again in heaven, where Jesus is now rocking him in his arms.  They will have a grand reunion one day because each one who spoke had placed their faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ.  They had received the forgiveness of their sins and the gift of everlasting life that Jesus won for them on the cross of Calvary.  Weeble's daddy Troy told us how Weeble's short earth-life is already bearing fruit, as one of Troy's dearest friends has come to Christ and been born again as a result of this tragedy.  Praise the Lord!  May he be the first of many, many souls to come to the Saviour as this faithful family lifts up the name of Jesus.

I wish I had known little Elijah better in this life.  He is a part of a family I have been blessed to know and love and fellowship with for thirteen years.  Troy was my boys' Boy Scout Leader for several years.  Poppy Sam is vitally involved in all things Scouting as well and has prepared our taxes for many years.  He and "Nanny" Betty have become our friends as well.  We have also been blessed to know and fellowship with Aunt Tricia and her family and Aunt Susan and her family, as well as dear "Granny" Betty Gunter.  The past few years I allowed myself to become overly busy when I took a job outside the home.  I gave up my Sunday School Nursery Teacher position and even stopped working in the church nursery.  I struggle to remember if I held Elijah in my arms even once.  This is my personal loss, one that I truly regret.  But God is good all the time.  As a believer, I, too, look forward to that great day the Lord will call me home, or that even grander day when the trump shall sound and the Lord's body, the church, will be caught up together with Him in the clouds, "and so shall we ever be with the Lord" (1 Thessalonians 4:17).  "Even so, come, Lord Jesus" (Revelation 22:20).

Until we meet again in heaven, I will remember little Weeble with love and affection and with a greater appreciation for this life and my loved ones.

Jennifer and Troy, I love you so much.  You are in my thoughts and prayers constantly and I pray the Lord will continue to comfort you and your children and the whole family as only He can.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, O Christian Mother. Weeble was a very good boy, and we're still mostly in shock about having to say "goodbye" to such a great joy. It's so comforting to know that he is in Heaven - but I want him here in my lap right now. I am about to read a children's story book about grieving. I wish it were a different topic, and that Weeb were here to laugh and point at the pictures. When I get to Heaven, perhaps we'll change roles, and I'll point at things and say "what's that?" and he'll answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy, I love you and your family. You are in our prayers and we are so sad for you and for ourselves. Even so, Come, Lord Jesus!

    ReplyDelete