Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reading Aloud Is Right

Some of the very best homeschooling moments with my boys involved reading great books aloud to them.  I did most of the reading and I still remember how they would beg for "just one more chapter."  Our favorite books came from the Sonlight Curriculum catalog; every one we read together was a winner.  I remember in particular Carry On, Mr. Bowditch; Moccasin Trail; and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.  These novels appealed greatly to my boys, who were about 13 and 10 at the time. The stories totally captivated all of us, so the history lessons and character-building were painless!   Sharing a great story and its frames of reference together is one of those relationship-building activities that makes homeschooling a precious blessing.  Looking back over the years, our read-aloud times comprise some of our sweetest memories.

If you need any ideas about which books to read at what age, the Sonlight Curriculum catalog is the way to go.  Click on the Sonlight banner to go to their website and order a free catalog.  You won't be sorry!!
Sonlight: Love to Learn

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your Sonlight experience. Very encouraging!

    ~Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only wish I had found Sonlight when my children were younger! Thanks for taking the time to comment, Luke.

    ReplyDelete